Time for another progress post. (Progress on what? Go here.)
As usual, the moment I made a plan for myself, I backed away from it—not in thought but in action.
Little things tend to disrupt me in big ways. That’s what seems to have happened with the keyboard issue I had to deal with this week.
I have the new keyboard installed. I have the new fan installed. I’m not liking the new fan, because it’s noisier than the old one and there’s a weird static-y feeling sometimes as I’m typing, and I think it’s the fan causing it. But overall, my computer and desk are once again set up the way I prefer for them to be.
Yet I’m still feeling disrupted.
Yesterday, I spent some time getting my little netbook that’s running on Lubuntu up to date with the latest LTS distribution. That led me to test a new idea I had for writing away from my desk. I liked it. The keyboard is small but I have small fingers. I used my backup file that I send to Dropbox every day when I finish writing, opened it in LibreOffice Writer, renamed it immediately and saved it in a different Dropbox folder, then just started writing in it.
The big thing for me about working on the same book in multiple places is that I like to see what I’ve written as I work but I do not want to move my master document off my main computer or into Dropbox. Dropbox is for my backup files or for copies of files I want to access elsewhere. I just do not want my master book files stored in any cloud-syncing folder on my computer. I sync my files to my Dropbox folder using yCopy2 and that’s the way I like it.
This means I can’t edit the file I opened on the little netbook, though, or I’ll have a mess on my hands.
It’s one thing to just copy and paste some text from one file to another, but if I were to have to incorporate edited and changed text…? No way am I going to do that. On the other hand, I don’t mind being forced to stop editing and just write, because I do have a tendency to edit and rewrite a lot even when I don’t plan to.
I quite liked this other option for working on my books. It means I can get away from distractions of my main computer while not losing access to the whole document I’m working on, also without risking the integrity of my master document.
All that said, though, I need to be writing more. The disruptions I’ve dealt with this month hasn’t been good for the word counts.
I’ve had too many days this month where I just haven’t forced myself to sit down and write, even though I needed to.
My July-to-date word count: 4,968.
For the moment, I’m going to focus on my 2,000 words a day and go from there.