It’s time to quit caffeine (coffee) (again)

It’s time for an experiment!

I’ve quit caffeine cold-turkey too many times to count in my life and I know what to expect—so I am not going cold-turkey. The last time I quit caffeine, I weaned myself off it and it worked out so much better. That’s the path I’ll be taking this time, now that I’ve decided I need to quit caffeine for a while to see if I can improve my sleep.

I’ve been sleeping poorly lately, and I’ve been drinking more and more caffeine between coffee and tea (black and green), and I’m not reaching to say there is probably a connection. :) I’ve also been experiencing a few more headaches than usual lately, and I’d like to see if it’s the caffeine. I’m bad at routine, so some days I do too much and some days too little and this varying caffeine consumption can definitely cause withdrawal symptoms.

I worry, a bit, because coffee kind of brings the world to life around me, and usually (but not always) helps me focus and feel clear-headed. Sometimes it’s the opposite. I wake up feeling crystal clear and that first cup of coffee steals that away and makes me feel a bit too hyperactive. Those are the days I tell myself I’m going to wait a few hours the next morning before I have my coffee. I almost never do.

It also exacerbates that nervy feeling I get sometimes and can make me feel like I want to jump out of my skin. It only takes one cup too many to give me a bad case of the jitters and an upset stomach, and sometimes I have that cup before I’ve realized it and then I spend several hours feeling miserable. I’ve always thought I am highly sensitive to caffeine.

I’ve had a love / hate relationship with caffeine (coffee and tea) for most of my life. :D It’s time for a break.

3 thoughts on “It’s time to quit caffeine (coffee) (again)”

    1. The thing that works best for me is to remember that I don’t care if anyone else cares. This isn’t their life and if they don’t like something, they’ve got the wherewithal in almost all cases to ignore me and what I do and get on with their life. Because as my daughter likes to remind me, a lot of people who have no business caring what I do actually do care. Best to learn to not care yourself instead of fooling yourself into believing that no one cares and then get smacked in the face by that fact, and have it get to you when it really shouldn’t. It’s not always easy, but it’s a very useful mindset, IMO. :-)

      1. Yup. That’s exactly it. I follow the 80/20 rule. If I enjoy what I write, roughly 80% of readers will enjoy it to, to varying degrees. The other 20% will love it or hate it, which is fine. Every opinion is only that: one opinion. And it has that much impact on my work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *